What to Do if You Are Involved in an Uber/Lyft Auto Accident in Wyoming
Uber and Lyft generally provide safe transportation and have been doing so in Wyoming since 2017.
Unfortunately, accidents do still happen when you are using these “transportation network companies.” Your Uber is not invincible.
Accidents may happen as a result of human error, poor driving conditions, or other unforeseen factors.
Whatever the cause, if you were injured in an Uber or Lyft accident that was not your fault, we can help.
Complications of Uber Accidents
One of the biggest issues with rideshare accidents is that there are often multiple parties to deal with—it can be like herding cats.
There is your own insurance, the rideshare driver, the other driver, the Uber or Lyft company, and even potentially another company depending on whether the other driver was in a work vehicle.
Vehicle defects or inadequate roadways could also cause other parties to be liable for the accident.
Here are some examples of Uber accident situations:
- The Uber or Lyft driver causes an accident while they are transporting a passenger;
- Another driver causes a crash while Uber or Lyft is transporting a passenger;
- Another driver causes a collision while a rideshare driver is on the way to pick up a passenge;
- A rideshare driver causes an accident while they are en route to pick up a passenger;
- A rideshare driver is in an accident while they’re logged into the app and waiting for a call, but not actively en route; or
- An Uber or Lyft driver is in a collision while they are logged out of the app.
All of these scenarios could have multiple outcomes for liability depending on the details of the situation.
This is why it is important to have an experienced Uber accident and Lyft accident attorney to help you determine the best course of action.
What to Do If You Are Involved in an Uber/Lyft Auto Accident in Wyoming
If an accident occurs during your Uber or Lyft ride, there are several things you can do to make sure you are taken care of.
If you have already been in an accident, some of these opportunities may have passed. That’s ok. It is still good information to know, and there are plenty of things you can do now.
- Call the police to report the accident and ask for emergency personnel if necessary;
- Receive treatment for injuries, even if they seem minor;
- Obtain contact information from your rideshare driver and any other parties involved;
- Make sure the police officer’s accident report states that you were a rideshare passenger a the time of the accident;
- Take photos of the accident scene and screenshots of your ride on the app;
- Collect information from any witnesses;
- Keep a record of all expenses including property damage, medical expenses, and any impact on employment; and
- Contact an experienced Wyoming rideshare attorney.
Wyoming Uber and Lyft drivers are treated as independent contractors. This could impact your Uber or Lyft accident settlement depending on fault.
Know Your Legal Options
Car accidents are one of the most common reasons for personal injury lawsuits. Unfortunately, they are often more complex.
The experienced team at Platte River Law understands how to navigate Uber accidents and Lyft accidents to help get you the compensation you deserve.
Do not accept less than what you are entitled to. Contact us today for your free case consultation.